I’ve always been a fan of music that affects me emotionally, and lyrics are generally the thing that gets me. Of course, powerful chord changes or a strong vocal line are excellent for causing strong emotions, but for me it’s being able to relate to the words.
So, I thought I’d do a fun post and list a few songs that I enjoy – some because I’m an atheist, and some because I’m just me 🙂
In no particular order:
1. “Unbelievers” by Vampire Weekend. I like this song sort-of sarcastically. The rest of this album (Modern Vampires of the City) gets a little too religious for me to relate to – or rather, I relate to it with my past self, and that feeling isn’t too pleasant as the wounds are still fresh. But Unbelievers is a great song to get me feeling like, “I don’t believe what you wanted me to, and I don’t believe in your hell!”
We know the fire awaits unbelievers, all of the sinners the same. Girl, you and I will die unbelievers bound to the tracks of the train.
2. “Born to Die” by Lana del Rey. Lana del Rey really had to grow on me, but now I’m hooked. “Born to Die” in particular is great because I like songs that focus on mortality. (I realize as I’m writing this that I don’t know for sure if she’s talking about death or death of a relationship in a more metaphorical sense. But I like to think about it as physical death). I used to fear death when I felt like my entrance into heaven wasn’t guaranteed and hell was real. Now death is not so uncertain, and I think I’ll just become unconscious, which is not scary and actually brings me a lot of peace.
Choose your last words, this is the last time, ’cause you and I, we were born to die.
3. “Do You Realize??” by the Flaming Lips. What a fantastic song, especially for when you want to feel awe and wonder at the world without any religious metaphors! My husband introduced me to this song and I’ve been enamored ever since. We had it on our playlist at our wedding – at first my husband was hesitant to put this on the list, but I argued that it’s perfect because it’s all about enjoying everything while it’s here, and it won’t be forever.
Do you realize that you have the most beautiful face? Do you realize we’re floating in space?
4. “Gypsy” by Lady Gaga. This song appeals to my sense of wanderlust. I want to travel everywhere! I want someone to see the world with me! I want to be someone’s gypsy princess and chase the sunset! Just a good song for feeling upbeat about life’s opportunities… and I love Lady Gaga anyway.
I don’t wanna be alone forever. Maybe we could see the world together…
5. “Between Two Lungs” by Florence + the Machine. I don’t love cheesy love songs. I do like interesting love songs. And I love Florence + the Machine, for their interesting lyrics, amazing metaphors, and musicality. This song in particular, the beginning notes remind me of a heart beat, and the focus on breath is fresh and satisfying. Warms my metaphorical soul when I’m in a good mood.
Each breath screaming, “We are all too young to die.”
What are some of your favorite songs? Are you a fan of lyrics, beat, popularity, melody, or is there some other aspect of songs that makes them appealing?